World

Myanmar quake toll passes 1,600

Mar 30, 2025

Bangkok [Thailand], March 30: Myanmar's military rulers let in hundreds of foreign rescue personnel on Saturday after an earthquake killed more than 1,600 people, the deadliest natural disaster to hit the impoverished, war-torn country in years.
Friday's 7.7 magnitude quake, among the biggest to jolt the Southeast Asian nation in the last century, crippled airports, bridges and highways amid a civil war that has wrecked the economy and displaced millions.
The death toll in Myanmar climbed to 1,644, the military government said on Saturday, according to BBC Burmese news service.
In neighbouring Thailand, where the quake rattled buildings and brought down a skyscraper under construction in the capital Bangkok, at least nine people were killed.
Survivors in Mandalay, Myanmar's second-biggest city, dug with their bare hands on Friday in desperate attempts to save those still trapped, lacking heavy machinery and with authorities absent.
In Bangkok on Saturday, rescue operations continued at the site of the 33-storey tower's collapse, where 47 people were missing or trapped under the rubble - including workers from Myanmar.
The US Geological Service's predictive modelling estimated Myanmar's death toll could exceed 10,000 and losses could exceed the country's annual economic output.
A day after making a rare call for international assistance, Myanmar's junta chief, Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, travelled to hard-hit Mandalay near the epicentre of the quake, which brought down buildings and triggered fires in some areas.
"The Chairman of the State Administration Council instructed authorities to expedite search and rescue efforts and address any urgent needs," the junta said in a statement on state media, referring to Min Aung Hlaing.
An initial assessment by Myanmar's opposition National Unity Government said at least 2,900 buildings, 30 roads and seven bridges had been damaged by the quake.
"Due to significant damage, Naypyitaw and Mandalay international airports are temporarily closed," said the NUG, which includes remnants of the elected civilian government ousted by the military in a 2021 coup that triggered the civil war.
The control tower at the airport in Naypyitaw, Myanmar's purpose-built capital city, collapsed, rendering it inoperable, a person with knowledge of the situation told Reuters.
A Myanmar junta spokesman did not respond to calls seeking comment.
Hospitals in central and northwestern Myanmar were struggling to cope with the influx of injured people, the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said, warning that damage to roads was hindering access.
Seventeen cargo trucks of shelter and medical supplies were due to arrive on Sunday to address shortages of medicines, including blood bags and anaesthetics, the agency added.
A Chinese rescue team arrived at the airport in Myanmar's commercial capital of Yangon, hundreds of kilometres from Mandalay and Naypyitaw, and will travel upcountry by bus, state media said.
Chinese President Xi Jinping spoke by phone with the junta chief, China's embassy in Myanmar said on Saturday, and said Beijing would provide $13.77 million worth of aid, including tents, blankets and emergency medical kits.
The United States, which has a testy relationship with the Myanmar military and has sanctioned its officials, including Min Aung Hlaing, has said it would provide some assistance.
Relief supplies from India on a military aircraft also landed in Yangon, according to Myanmar state media, and India's government said it was also dispatching ships with 40 tonnes of humanitarian aid.
Russia, Malaysia and Singapore were also sending planeloads of relief supplies and personnel.
In Bangkok, 1,000 km (620 miles) from the epicentre, authorities on Saturday pushed ahead with efforts to find construction workers trapped under the rubble of the collapsed tower, using excavators, drones and search-and-rescue dogs.
Source: Qatar Tribune

More news

1 Lakh Meals: ISKCON Attapur's Ramnavmi Feast

Hyderabad (Telangana) [India], April 4: As the sacred festival of Ramnavmi draws near, ISKCON Attapur, Hyderabad has started its celebration in the most impactful way--by serving those in need. Renowned for its dedication to Annadaan, or free food distribution, the temple has announced a large-scale initiative to distribute 1 lakh nutritious meals over a week-long period. This humanitarian effort began on Ugadi (March 30) and will conclude on Ramnavmi (April 6), ensuring that countless underprivileged individuals in and around Hyderabad receive wholesome meals during this auspicious time. ISKCON Attapur's Ramnavmi celebration will distribute 1 lakh nutritious meals over a week, feeding the underprivileged in Hyderabad and fulfilling the temple's vision of ensuring no one within a 10km radius suffers from hunger.

Apr 04, 2025